Saturday 15 December 2012

Connecticut Shooting: Students and teachers displayed courage amid the gunfire.


Stories of heroism by adults and children are emerging from Sandy Hook Elementary School where a lone gunman killed 26 people, including his mother and 20 children, in a terrifying early Friday morning shooting spree. Here a few stories of the heroic:
School therapist Diane Day described how principal Dawn Hochsprung and a school psychologist, identified as Mary Scherlach, leaped from their seats and ran out of a meeting when they heard gunshots.
"They didn't think twice about confronting or seeing what was going on," she told The Wall Street Journal.
Hochsprung and Sherlach were shot dead in the hallway, according to news reports.
Sandy Hook's lead teacher pressed her body against the meeting room's door, which did not have a lock, Day said. The gunman shot through the door, wounding the unidentified teacher in an arm and a leg.
"She was our hero," Day said




The Shooter
Parent Robert Licata told WABC-TV the gunman burst into the classroom of his 6-year-old son and shot the teacher without saying a word.
"That's when my son grabbed a bunch of his friends and ran out the door," he said. "He was very brave. He waited for his friends."
First-grade teacher Kaitlin Riog said she was in a morning meeting when she heard what sounded like automatic gunfire. She then locked her classroom door and herded her students into the bathroom, where she locked them in and blocked the door with a tall storage unit.
"I felt that, in the time, I tried to be very strong for my children," she told WABC. "I said anyone who believed in the power in the prayer, we need to pray. And those who don't believe in prayer, think happy thoughts... I told the kids I love them and I was so happy they were my students... I didn't think we were going to live."
When police knocked later, she said, she told officers to slide their badges under the door, then told them to get a key to prove they were police. Officers then unlocked the door and took the children to a nearby fire department.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share My Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...